MARRIAGE REGISTRATION IN VIET NAM
A non-Vietnamese citizen, seeking to get married to a Vietnamese national, may submit in person or by mail to the Consulate of Viet Nam in New York his/her file of required documents for marriage registration, before taking them to Viet Nam for Application at Department of Justice at Provincial Authorities.
I. A Regular Dossier to be authenticated at the Consulate includes:
1. Application for Marriage Registration in Viet Nam (click to save form or download the attached below).
2. Affidavit of Single Status
3. Certificate of No-Marriage Records issued by State or County Authorities (Vital Statistics Office, Department of Health, State Registrar ...) within the last six months, certifying that no marriage license or marriage record of the applicant has been found from his/her mature age of marriage (age of 18 for female and 20 for male) or since his/her divorce up to the present or since his/her spouse’ death up to present.
4. Certificate of Good Mental Health issued by an authorized medical institution, confirming that the applicant has no mental illnesses, or mentally sound for marriage, and is fully conscious of his/her own actions.
5. Biographic Information Sheet
6. Certified photocopy of the Infomation pages of the Passport
NOTE: Before being sent to the Consulate for legalization, the above-mentioned documents (# 1,2,4,5 and 6) must be certified by a Notary Public or equivalent public authorities (document # 3 is regularly issued by the Registrar or Court 'sClerk) and the signatures of the Notary Public or Registrar or Court's Clerk must be certified by the State Department (or its Office of Authentication) of the State where the applicant resides or where the Notary Public is lisensed. The Consulate can certify only the signatures of the State-level Secretary of State.
II. Divorced and Widowed Applicants: In addition to the 6 above-listed documents:
- Divorcees are required to submit an Authenticated Judgment of Divorce (Notarized/Certified and Authenticated by Secretary of State);
- Widows are to submit a Authenticated Copy of the Death Certificate of his/her deceased spouse (Notarized/Certified and Authenticated by Secretary of State).
III. Power of Attorney for Submission of Application:
The non-Vietnamese party can, with a Power of Attorney (form attached below), entrust his/her fiancé(e) to submit the application package. The power of attorney is required to be authenticated by the Consulate after it has been certified by (1) Notary Public, and (2) the State-level Secretary of State.
If all the documents are notarized by ONE Notary Public, it is requested that only ONE authentication of Secretary of State is needed for all his/her signatures.
IV. Fees: can be paid by MONEY ORDERS / CASHIER’S CHECKS / PERSONAL CHECKS to THE CONSULATE OF VIET NAM IN NEW YORK.
V. Turn-around of Documents:
1. You can submit the document by mail or in-person.
- Regular turn-around time is 3-5 business days. Please retain the receipt to pick the documents up in-person at the Consulate.
- For mail-back of documents, please include a self-addressed postage-paid return envelope. Only use mailing services which provide tracking numbers. If you use FedEx, please make sure that you put your name, address, FedEx account and phone number in both sender’s and recipient’s boxes. Applicants applying together may provide one envelope to be returned to the same address.
2. You also have an option to request for same-day processing of your documents. Extra fees will be applied for such request. Regular waiting time would be 1/2 - 1 hour (depending on the complicity of the documents).
For more information, please contact our Consuls:
- Business hours: From 09:00 to 17:30, all weekdays
- Telephone: 212-644-0831; 212-644-2535;
- Fax: 212-644-5732
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 866 U.N. Plaza, Suite 435, New York, NY 10017